Office relocation involves an overwhelming number of literal and figurative moving parts. For minimal disruptions during the move, planning, preparation, and communication are key factors for keeping things running smoothly.
Don’t worry, our team at Friendly Movers is here to help! From planning and communication to settling into your new space, we have some tips to take away some of that “Big Move” stress.
Start Planning Early
First things first when it comes to office relocation. About six months before your move, you’ll want to take these first steps:
- Review your current lease to learn if you’re responsible for any property damage or if there is a cost for breaking your lease early.
- Put together a moving team. Assign a point person for the team and delegate from there.
- Get your free quote from Friendly Movers.
- Determine if moving coverage is needed. If you have important machinery and equipment, you may need to opt for higher coverage on your move.
- Confirm your moving date at least 3-4 months before your move.
Announce the Move
Now that you have your move date set, it’s important to communicate internally and externally about the upcoming office relocation. Plan a detailed and comprehensive email or newsletter with everything your internal and external parties need to know, including:
- The new address
- Moving date (or dates)
- What responsibilities your employees will have
- Any future moving information they should expect.
After announcing your move, be sure to send a change of address notice to:
- Office supply services
- Banks and any other financial institutions
- Any food service companies
- Phone and internet service
- Clients and affiliates
- Any additional services your company uses
Prepare for the Move
Now comes the time for planning the layout of your new space and moving all of your equipment from one location to another.
- Design a floor plan and decide the layout for equipment, desks, and furniture
- Take inventory of your equipment and furniture and make a list of anything you need to buy
- Arrange cleaning services for both locations
- Create a detailed moving plan for your employees
- Provide keys and security information that your employees will need for the new location
- Start a packing plan. Create lists of rarely used items, “make-do items” that are less crucial, and absolute necessity items that will need to be packed the day before, or day of, the move.
Make the Move and Settle In
Start setting up your new space using the floor plan you created and coordinating with your movers. Be sure to do a walkthrough of your vacated office for any items missed as well as making note of any damage that may have occurred during the move.
Now comes the fun part. Once you have tested and reconnected all of your technology and have finished unpacking, it’s time to celebrate — you’re an office relocation expert now!